Natural Smiles • Jan 04, 2017
You’re so over closed-mouth selfies and finally ready for that perfect smile. But what does “perfect” even mean these days?
When veneers first became popular, cookie-cutter, white-tile teeth were the telltale sign that a celebrity got their smile redone. The latest trends in cosmetic dentistry focus on enhancing your smile while maintaining a natural look.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
You don’t need a filling. You floss every night. Your teeth are healthy, but you’re still unhappy. Why? All you see in photos are how dull your teeth look, how your gums are too high or too low over certain teeth, or how super-obvious the gaps between your teeth are. This is where a dentist who specializes in cosmetic dentistry can help you with your embarrassment and design the perfect smile for you. Cosmetic dentistry focuses on fixing the appearance of your teeth versus the type of dental work that maintains the health or restores the functionality of your teeth.
Lately, we’ve been noticing 5 major trends in teeth.
- Tailor-made veneers: Remember when ombre was all the rage in hair? Women loved it because the gradual transition in color gave their hair a natural look as it grew out. A good cosmetic dentist applies this same technique to veneers, working like an artist to add shading to the top and bottom of your veneers for a smile that is flawless, but true-to-nature in appearance.
- Soft white shade for a natural smile: We’ve all cringed at the women who went too heavy on the self-tanner, and ultra-bright teeth can be just as big a faux pas. At home on your own, or even at one of those mall kiosks that have been popping up, it can be hard to gauge exactly what type of treatment you need to get that exact-right white for your teeth. A consultation with a cosmetic dentist can help you find the precise shade that will return your teeth to the clean, healthy white of your younger years — without going overboard.
- Designer dentures: Dentures of old used to make your mouth look like it was playing dress-up, but nowadays with cosmetic dentures, it’s hard to even tell which of your friends have them and which don’t! You don’t have to live the rest of your life ashamed of the teeth you were born with or, worse yet, struggle to live a quality life with a mouthful of missing teeth. The denture design process has been refined to create dentures that are more like works of art that you’ll be proud to put on display every time you smile.
- Body-conscious materials: You’re careful about what you eat (such as fish) because you’re concerned about your mercury intake, but what about the stuff your dentist is putting in your mouth? Patients like you are expressing a growing interest in materials that are body-friendly. Our biocompatible materials are metal-free and always free of mercury. This means peace of mind when you’re getting work done that involves crowns, bridges, fillings, and even clear braces like Invisalign. And an added benefit is that these materials were designed to blend in with your actual teeth — no bits of metal winking back at you when you’re looking at your mouth in the mirror.
- Beauty touch-ups in the dental chair: You’ve been wanting to do something about your wrinkles and fine lines for a while now, but you just don’t have time to research a new doctor. You’ve heard so many horror stories, so who can you trust? The same doctor you trust with the health and appearance of your teeth can be the same doctor you trust with the appearance of your face. Finding the right dentist can save you time and worry. Dr. Gill is now offering facial rejuvenation treatments like Botox®, lip enhancements, and dermal fillers in-office. Now, if only you could convince her to touch up your roots too!
You don’t have to be in a big city to get a smile that’s straight out of a magazine. When you select your dentist in Louisville, Kentucky, make sure you choose one that stays current with the latest looks in cosmetic dentistry coming out of the most image-forward cities.
Dr. Gill trained in Los Angeles and Miami before opening our practice in Louisville, Kentucky. And as a postgraduate at the leading institute for dental innovation, Spear Education, she studied Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry and continues to devote ongoing educational hours to learning the latest techniques and researching the most advanced technology she can offer her patients.
You don’t have to spend hours on the internet figuring out what treatments and procedures you need. Meet with Dr. Gill to talk about what your perfect smile looks like. Call us at 502-804-5420 for an appointment.