Teeth Cleaning For Good Oral Health
Professional teeth cleanings are the foundation of good oral health. Visiting your dentist every six months for a teeth cleaning and dental exam helps you maintain strong, healthy, problem-free teeth and gums. At Natural Smiles in Louisville, KY, we are focused on helping our patients establish and maintain excellent oral health through careful preventive care.
What to Expect During a Teeth Cleaning
There is a lot that happens during every teeth cleaning appointment at your Louisville, KY, dentist, and every element plays an important role in keep your teeth and gums healthy. Here’s what to expect at every visit:
- Teeth cleaning: Using special tools to remove plaque and tartar from tooth enamel, especially in hard-to-reach places, the dental hygienist scrapes your teeth clean, flosses, then polishes enamel to a high shine, making it harder for dangerous bacteria to attach. Want to see what your hygienist sees? Ask about our intraoral cameras for a close-up view of your mouth.
- Dental exam: Your dentist will review your oral health, keeping an eye open for any irregularities, including gum disease, gum recession, tooth decay, cracks, and more. She will make recommendations about how to address acute issues before they become bigger and more problematic.
- Oral cancer screening: Your Louisville dentist will review your palate, cheeks, lips, neck, and throat, looking for early signs of oral cancer. This disease is dangerous and can be fatal but it is also highly treatable if caught early.
- Consultation: Every dental consultation is an opportunity to discuss your questions and concerns with an expert. Want to know whether you qualify for teeth whitening or Invisalign? Curious about dental restorations? Need a recommendation for a new toothbrush? Your dental team focuses on prevention and patient education and is happy to dole out advice and answers.
Optional Treatments at a Teeth Cleaning
There are some procedures that are only necessary occasionally and not at every dental visit. There are also optional treatments that not every patient will pursue. Here are some of them:
- X-rays: Bitewing x-rays are usually taken once a year, per most insurance plans, but you can have x-rays taken anytime or as needed. These images are important as they let your dentist identify any problems that might be going on beneath the gumline before they get out of hand.
- Fluoride treatments: Typically reserved for kids and administered to them at every teeth cleaning, this natural mineral treatment is also available for adults who suffer from excess dental decay or have a specific need for more fluoride on their tooth enamel.
- Dental sealants: Also targeted at children but appropriate for some adults as well, dental sealants are placed on the biting surface of a molar to block out acid and plaque and reduced tooth decay significantly.
Teeth Cleaning Cost Factors
Many people avoid going to the dentist because they don’t have dental insurance. It’s easy to justify this choice by telling yourself that you brush and floss well enough at home and you don’t need expert care. No matter how well you take care of your teeth at gums, your work can never replace the tools, techniques, and carefully trained eye of your Louisville dentist or hygienist.
Our dental office works to make teeth cleaning cost factors affordable through new patient specials so anyone can get the regular dental care they need and deserve, including teeth cleaning, x-rays, dental exam, consult with the dentist, and oral cancer screening.
Get a Teeth Cleaning Near Me in Louisville, KY
Schedule teeth cleanings for yourself and your family at Natural Smiles in Louisville, KY. There is no substitute for professional preventive dental care. Prioritize your oral health – one dental visit every six months will keep your teeth healthy, shining, and free from dental problems.