CALL TO FIND OUT HOW.
Gummy Smile Treatment
There are several types of gummy smile treatment available from Natural Smiles in Louisville, KY. This advanced dental care is designed to beautify gummy smiles and make them healthier so patients can avoid gum recession, gum disease, and other oral health problems.
Eliminate a Gummy Smile with Laser Gum Contouring
Laser gum contouring, also known as a laser gum lift, is a minimally invasive procedure that is used to reshape the gumline. A quick treatment, only local anesthetic is needed for comfort, and the results that follow the removal of unwanted gum tissue are immediate and dramatic. Here is what to expect:
- The precise and symmetrical elimination of gum tissue using a sophisticated dental laser.
- Exposure of more tooth enamel.
- Reshaped gumline.
- Creation of an attractive ratio of gums-to-teeth.
- Delivery of a bigger, whiter, balanced, symmetrical smile.
You and your dentist decide how much gum tissue you want to show. There is no one right answer, but there is an amount of tissue removal that helps patients feel good about themselves and the appearance of their smile. As the laser is carefully maneuvered around the teeth, the excess gum tissue is reshaped, trimmed, and reshaped with incredible process, usually in a procedure that takes only about 30 minutes.
Causes of a Gummy Smile
Excess gum tissue is typically a cosmetic concern but it can sometimes be caused by an oral health issue associated with gum disease. There are several possible categories people fall into when it comes to defining a particular kind of gummy smile – and the kind of gummy smile treatment you’re eligible for:
- Poor eruption: When adult teeth do not erupt fully or properly, they may be partially covered by gum tissue and create short-looking teeth.
- Excess lip size: When an upper lip is hyperactive it lifts too high when you smile. When an upper lip is hypermobile it is too short when you smile. In either case, more gum tissue shows than you might be comfortable with.
- Enlarged gums: Gum overgrowth is a feature of gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Its hallmark is swollen or inflamed gums. This condition is known as gingival enlargement.
- Overgrown jaw: An overgrowth of the upper jaw causes the gums to bulge out so they are more noticeable.
- DNA: Genetics are often the one determining factor when it comes to whether a person has excess gum tissue showing.
Are You a Good Candidate for Gummy Smile Treatment?
The thought of altering your gums can be daunting, but modern innovations in dental technology have made these edits tolerable and possible without surgery. You might be a good candidate for gummy smile treatment and other advanced dental care if:
- You have a bite problem. Mild gingival display can often be corrected with treatment like Invisalign plus laser gum contouring for a permanent change to your gums.
- You have short teeth. Laser gum contouring is the gummy smile treatment of choice for many patients before they receive customized porcelain veneers for a smile makeover that delivers proportional teeth and a stunning smile.
- You are self-conscious. Perception is everything when it comes to excess gum tissue. Some people love it. Others would prefer to have a bigger, whiter smile with their gums taking a secondary role. If you are self-conscious about your smile because of gum overgrowth, balance is possible with customized gummy smile treatment.
Get Gummy Smile Treatment in Louisville, KY
If you are interested in learning more about laser gum contouring and other gummy smile treatments, schedule an appointment with Dr. Kiran Gill at Natural Smiles in Louisville, KY. Find out what’s possible for your smile makeover.