CALL TO FIND OUT HOW.
Tooth-colored fillings are made of a composite material that looks like natural tooth enamel and serves as a strong substance to correct damaged or unsightly teeth. This dental treatment can be used to both fix and beautify a smile. At Natural Smiles in Louisville, KY, we use tooth-colored fillings to correct a host of oral health problems and make teeth healthy and attractive.
Problems Fixed by Tooth-Colored Fillings
Fillings are not just for cavities. In fact, this restoration is one of the most versatile dental treatments and is often used to manage the following problems:
- Tooth decay
- Cracks and chips
- Stains or discoloration
- Misshapen teeth
The composite material that makes up the tooth-colored filling is a stabilizing force, which means it not only fixes the tooth in question but offers protection to neighboring teeth. The presence of a composite filling helps future problems from developing throughout the mouth. Plus, fillings are white like your tooth enamel and blend right into your smile to deliver an unnoticeable restoration.
The Composite Filling Procedure
Tooth-colored fillings are a routine dental procedure. While not every repair is easy and not every problem is small, your Louisville dentist addresses each restoration on its own and determines whether composite fillings are the best solution for the tooth or teeth in question. The procedure typically evolves as follows:
- Prep: The problem area is numbed, if necessary, to eliminate discomfort.
- Excavate: Decay is removed from the compromised tooth and the tooth is thoroughly cleaned.
- Fill: The composite material is matched to the color of your existing tooth enamel, applied in layers to the problem tooth, and hardened in place with a blue light. This step is repeated as needed until the idea height is reached and the tooth looks natural.
- Wrap-up: The filling is shaped and polished so it looks like neighboring teeth, shines naturally, and feels normal.
Fillings can last for decades with a dedicated daily oral hygiene routine and regular visits to your dentist for a check-up and professional cleanings. If you have a teeth grinding problem, discuss this with your dental team so they can talk to you about getting fitted for a customized night guard. This will protect your new fillings and any other dental work while also eliminating pain.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Besides the obvious benefit of fixing a compromised tooth, tooth-colored fillings have plenty of other benefits, including:
- Natural appearance: No one wants a dental repair that sticks out. Composite material is designed to match your tooth enamel so there will never be a sign that you had work done after a meticulously applied tooth-colored filling.
- Durable restoration: Tooth-colored fillings bond directly to the tooth, making the tooth stronger, preventing cracks, protecting the tooth from other invasions, and reducing the need for repairs later.
- Safe materials: There was a time when silver amalgam fillings were the norm for dental repairs. The traces of mercury in that material are problematic not only for the structure of the treated tooth but can cause an allergic reaction for anyone sensitive to certain metals. Composite is non-toxic material – some patients even request to have their silver fillings replaced.
- Powerful structure: Tooth-colored fillings reinforce the structure of a tooth, making it sturdy so that biting and chewing do not result in disaster.
Get Tooth-Colored Fillings in Louisville, KY
When you need tooth decay addressed, a damaged tooth fixed, or deteriorating dental work repaired, visit Natural Smiles family dentistry in Louisville, KY. A tooth-colored filling may be just what you need to restore your smile. Contact us to schedule an appointment or if you have a dental emergency.