There are plenty of over-the-counter teeth-whitening options available – toothpastes, gels, white strips, the list goes on. The results of these products are not guaranteed, but it can be tempting to purchase them because you just want whiter teeth and you want them now. What many people discover is that the best teeth whitening choice they’ve ever made is to get their enamel professionally whitened by their Louisville cosmetic dentist.
Find Out If You’re a Good Teeth Whitening Candidate
One of the first things that happens at a consultation for teeth whitening is to determine whether you are indeed a good candidate for this treatment. Some people are not. Teeth that are naturally yellow or brown have enamel that cannot be whitened. (Which also explains why those OTC kits haven’t worked.) You must have stains or discoloration caused by:
- Food and drink stuck in the tiny grooves of the teeth
- Build up of stains that darken enamel
- A love for things like coffee, wine, tea, colas, curries, and tobacco
If your teeth can’t be whitened, don’t despair. There are other cosmetic dentistry treatments that can create a white smile, including dental bonding, dental crowns, or porcelain veneers.
Two Amazing Teeth Whitening Procedures
There are multiple ways to whiten teeth. Your Louisville dentist relies on two proven treatments that get through the build-up of stains and food particles to leave behind super-white teeth.
- ZOOM! teeth whitening: After a desensitizing gel is put on the gums to avoid any potential discomfort (an option not available through pharmacy purchases), concentrated whitening gel is applied to every tooth. From there, a special laser is aimed at each tooth to activate the whitening agent. It only takes about one hour to complete the treatment with the result of tooth enamel that is eight shades whiter. Want even whiter teeth? It is sometimes possible to repeat the whitening until the optimum shade is achieved.
- KöR teeth whitening: Would you rather do your teeth whitening at home? KöR teeth whitening is a combination treatment that starts with customized whitening trays you use at home. A bleaching agent is added to the trays which are worn every night for two weeks. This process will show a clear change in your smile, but the major transformation will occur afterward when you visit your dentist’s office for the in-office teeth whitening portion of the treatment.
Get Professional Teeth Whitening from Your Louisville Dentist
You may not have the kind of teeth that can be whitened. The only way to find out for sure is with a visit to your Louisville cosmetic dentist Dr. Kiran Gill so you can have a conversation about viable teeth whitening procedures and other types of cosmetic dentistry. Schedule a consultation at Natural Smiles in Louisville, KY, with our dental team to learn more and get ready to transform your smile.