A gummy smile has an atypical ratio of gum to tooth enamel and this fact is revealed every time a person smiles. While some people are happy to rock their pink smiles and proudly show off what DNA gave them, others wish they could get rid of their excess gum tissue. If you fit into the latter category, you might just fall in love with the transformative technology of laser gum contouring.
Fall in Love with Laser Gum Contouring
A gummy smile is a quirk of nature, just like a gap between the front teeth. However, you don’t have to adore every characteristic you’ve been given, especially when there is an easy way to change how you look.
Laser gum contouring is a smile makeover procedure that eliminates the gum tissue you don’t want, revealing more tooth enamel and making smiles bigger and brighter. Many patients combine this treatment with porcelain veneers for an incredible upgrade that improves their smile forever.
Here are just some of the reasons that patients fall in love with laser gum contouring:
- Noninvasive treatment: It can be anxiety inducing to think of getting your gum tissue lasered, but this treatment is noninvasive, comfortable, and has a quick recovery time.
- Permanent results: The gum tissue will not grow back. Once it is lasered off, it’s gone for good.
- Alters tooth size: Laser gum recontouring is designed to lengthen short teeth. Some people whose teeth never erupted fully and live with short, juvenile-looking teeth can get a bigger smile with this one procedure.
- Equalizes uneven gum line: Excess gum tissue isn’t always symmetrical or even, but the laser contouring can equalize your entire smile to make it cohesive and balanced.
- Dramatic results: You will immediately see the change in your smile after the contouring procedure. The shift is dramatic and it is satisfying to see how much of a difference this easy treatment can make.
The Laser Gum Lift Procedure
Sophisticated laser technology and a meticulous hand from your Louisville dentist are responsible for eliminating extra gum tissue, which has also earned laser gum recontouring the name of a laser gum lift. No matter how you refer to this procedure, the goal is the same – to reshape the gum line, reveal more tooth enamel, and create a balanced smile.
- The procedure takes only about 30 minutes.
- A local anesthetic is administered and dental anxiety can also be addressed with other measures.
- The laser is moved carefully around the teeth to remove unwanted gum tissue.
- Excess tissue is trimmed and reshaped precisely for symmetry and beauty.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Laser Gum Lift?
There are many reasons a person may have excess gum tissue, including the following:
- A short or high upper lip
- Enlarged gums
- Poorly erupted teeth
- Overgrown upper jaw
Though genetics have given you the gums you have, you have a say in how they will look from here on out. You and your dentist will work together to determine what kind of gum-to-tooth ratio is right for your unique smile. The goal, above all, is to help you feel great about your smile and yourself.
Schedule an appointment at Natural Smiles in Louisville, KY, to discuss laser gum recontouring and other smile makeover options.